Saturday 18 April 2020, Torquay
Why fundraise for the Amy Gillett Foundation?
The Amy Gillett Foundation is the charity-of-choice for the Great Ocean Otway Classic with one purpose – reducing the incidence of death and injury of cyclists in Australia.
The Foundation was born out of tragedy, the death of Amy Gillett, who was hit and killed by a motorist whilst cycling with her national teammates in Germany. Since the Foundation’s inception it has been a catalyst for change, focused on what should be rather than what was.
Our mission: safe cycling in Australia
Our vision: zero cyclist fatalities
SAFETY TIPS – Whenever you’re out riding your bike, remember to maximise your visibility at all times:
- ADD a front WHITE light
- ADD a rear RED light
- SET both to FLASH mode (and be more visible)
- WEAR light colours, reflective or fluorescent clothing
- ADD reflective bands to your legs (your bio-motion reflects light to drivers behind)
- WEAR your helmet
- Be predictable – signal early & often
Thank you for your support and happy fundraising! Follow us online to keep updated on our progress.
Thanks for your support!
As Australia’s leading cycling safety organisation, we really appreciate your support and will continue to promote actions to make cycling safer in Australia, such as:
- a metre matters laws across Australia, to make sure drivers pass cyclists safely
- safer vehicles and safer speeds
- investing in cycling infrastructure
- educating cyclists to respect and obey road laws and be safe and responsible road users
- teaching drivers how to share the road safely with bicycles, including during driver education.